Dead Island Riptide
From Dead Island Wiki
|Dead Island Riptide|
|Platforms|| Microsoft Xbox 360|
Sony PlayStation 3
|Release date||April 23rd 2013|
|Ratings||BBFC 12 Moderate violence and soft drug references . UK APPLE rating 9+|
Dead Island Riptide is the next installment in the franchise following Dead Island, announced June 6, 2012 and set to be released on April 23, 2013. The game will be released on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. It is set for an "extensive reveal" in the summer of 2012.
The game will be $49.99. "Deep Silver has tried to put to bed some of the rumours that have already emerged due to the pricing of the game. Firstly they confirmed that “It is a new game. Not a remake.” This was followed by an explanation for the low price tag being “That’s not a placeholder that’s the real price! It’s the end of a console cycle- we think this price makes a lot more sense given that"
Deep Silver's Aubrey Norris has stated that the game is not "Dead Island 2". Creative Producer Anthony Cardahi states that "Dead Island: Riptide is the next installment in the Dead Island franchise but it is not the sequel to Dead Island...we wanted to separate the idea of a ‘full blown sequel’ from a ‘new installment.’ Those are two separate ideas. Dead Island is amazingly loved by a lot of players, and it wouldn’t make sense for us to halt the adventure here. So you can definitely expect to see more from Dead Island in the future." This could hint that there are future plans for a game under that title in the series, possibly called Dead World.
 Game announcement press release
|June 6, 2012: Deep Silver Announces "Dead Island™ Riptide"|
LARKSPUR, CA – JUNE 6, 2012 Deep Silver today announced the development of a new entry to the Dead Island™ franchise.
The next battle between life and death will be waged in Dead Island Riptide and is currently in full development by Techland for consoles & PCs. An extensive reveal of its' thrilling new perils is planned for later this summer.
For more information, visit one of the following official Dead Island portals:
Official website: www.deadisland.com
About Techland Techland is a leading Polish developer, publisher and distributor of PC and console games since 1991. Its proprietary Chrome Engine 5 technology is among the world's most advanced game engines, with full X360, PC and PlayStation®3 system compatibility. With a staff of nearly 200 specialists in two development offices in Wroclaw and Warsaw, Techland is committed to delivering top-quality titles for worldwide markets. Currently the company is working on several high-profile titles for consoles and PCs.
 First details of Riptide
|August 31, 2012: Deep Silver reveals the first details|
LARKSPUR, CA – AUGUST 31, 2012 — Deep Silver today revealed the first details about the next installment in the Dead Island™ franchise, coming to stores in 2013.
Having survived the ordeals of the zombie infestation on the once beautiful island resort of Banoi, our group of survivors thought they had finally found a safe place to escape from this terrifying nightmare. But they were wrong. Shortly after the battle-hardened team had landed their helicopter on a military ship, a furious storm hits and havoc quickly spreads on board. Suddenly they find themselves struggling for their lives again with all hope drowning in the rising waves.
With invigorating new elements infused into a proven mix, Dead Island Riptide will reanimate the zombie terror in the original game. A monsoon has hit the once beautiful archipelago and heavy rainstorms have laid waste to large areas of the islands. The city of Henderson and jungle areas on the island of Palanai were flooded leaving boats as the only remaining way of transportation. Dynamic weather conditions will force the team members to adapt to changing visibility conditions.
A fifth character will join the team, with an all-new and unique skillset. The combined skills of the group will be sorely needed, since terrible, new and unknown zombie mutations have emerged all over the island.
In new hub defense missions, the coop teamwork skills of the survivors will be tested to the limit – they need to strategically place traps, fences and turrets to fend off oncoming Zombie onslaughts and to protect the humans in these sanctuaries.
New communication features in coop mode also allow players to enjoy an even more intense and strategic team experience.
Developed by Techland, Dead Island Riptide will be released in 2013 for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and for Windows PC.
Dead Island Riptide picks up right where the original game left off, with the same four survivors, Sam B, Xian Mei, Logan Carter and Purna. Because of a tropical storm the chopper crashes. The crew land on a military ship where, due to a raging monsoon and the fact that our survivors are infected, an all-new zombie outbreak occurs onboard. This forces players to flee the ship or the ship runs aground (media reports are conflicting). The survivors end up on the island of Palanai in the South Pacific. Palanai includes the city of Henderson.
Joining the four survivors from the last game is a fifth character, John Morgan. John is a Navy ship cook, however he trained himself in hand-to-hand combat. (Page 82 of the Nov 12 Game Informer.) 
In a flooded church in the middle of a jungle, the only way to get to the next area is by going through some tunnels underneath the church. So in Breaching the Tunnels quest, the player must carry a water pump to the church. They must them get the water pump going to clear the tunnel, which causes a lot of noise, and requires the player to fend off incoming zombies for several minutes while the water is clearing.
Players need supplies to set up their defenses, and have travel by boat to scavenge heavy weaponry and supplies from the downed chopper. The players must also find gas for the water pump.
There is a lot of action on the water, with boats needed to get around waterlogged sections of the island. There are zombies wandering around submerged by the water or stuck in the swamps. There are explosive mines, poison mines and sonic mines.
At the church the player can set up the a pair of miniguns ripped from the chopper on the second floor to cover various angles of zombie approach, put up chain-link fencing to cover up a few doorways for a little while, and drop mines in the surrounding swamp.
- Players and co-op
- Players can keep their original Dead Island game character progression through to the sequel.
- Level limitations between co-op partners has been removed. The game with automatically re-balance to find a middle ground that all players can play.
- Connecting to another player in co-op has been made simpler, where the game now automatically mentions if friends are logged in and nearby, letting them just jump into the player's game.
- Disconnections are handled more gracefully, and when people drop out of a group, there is a simple notification before a player can continue to play as they were before.
- Players will not have to wait to get firearms until later in the game.
- New zombie type.
- Drowner, lurks silently in the water and attacks when someone walks by.
- New special zombies.
- More zombies on screen at any one time.
- Zombie re-spawning overhauled. Zombies will still reappear as a player returns to areas that they had already cleared, but the game is going to try and handle this in a more intelligent and complex fashion. The game will take into account if the player is on a mission, how recently the players last passed through, the character’s condition, whether the player is playing in a group and plenty other factors also.
- Ogre, Ogre is a Butcher who is with a group of zombies trying to get Marcus Villa. He is unusually tall for the average Butcher. He has the threat level of five skulls.
- Quickdeath, Quickdeath is a tall Infected and will regenerate health on every successful attack. He is found during the quest Antidote where you must get medicene for Rose. He has the threat of five skulls.
- Game play
- New set position defenses where the player must hold a position for a period of time. This is available early in the game.
- Environmental weather. A huge part of the engine overhaul has focussed on adding big weather effects which "ramp up the tension and atmosphere during pivotal battles". The wind builds until it’s roaring at you through the speakers, the skies darken as the clouds close in and torrential rain starts to come down, reducing the distance the player can see and making survival even trickier.
- The only mode of transportation across the flooded islands is by boat.
- Zombies will pull players off the boat.
- The island is "vastly different from the one in the first game".
 Dead Island Riptide Survivor Edition
 Dead Island Riptide Collector's Edition
The Collector's Edition comes with a 17 cm-high plush zombie Ram and many smaller items.
The Dead Island Riptide Collector's Edition is now available for pre-order in Poland for $90 (for Xbox 360 and PS3)! Dead Island Riptide releases in the Poland on April 26, 2013.
 Dead Island Riptide Special Edition
The Special Edition comes with an exclusive game case, official strategy map,and comes with the Survivor and Fashion Victim DLCs.
 Release date
On October 29, 2012 games retailer EB Games accidentally leaked the release date of April 23, 2013 for Dead Island: Riptide. The ad stated that if a player pre-orders the game, they get the special edition. The special edition will include an “alternate skin pack”, a “pack of weapon mods” and a “digital strategy map”. A day later, on October 30, 2012, Deep Silver confirmed the leaked information, adding that Riptide will be released on April 26 worldwide.
On August 31, 2012 at the PAX Prime 2012 convention, details and game screens were released. The survivors will arrive on a new island that has been hit by a monsoon, flooding many parts of the island. A new weather system will be implemented as well as "hub" missions where some places will need to be barricaded and fortified in order to complete mission objectives or save the survivors.
Players who preorder the game at GameStop, Amazon.com and Best Buy can get an “extremely limited edition" SteelBook.
- The Floater is similar to a Drudge in Gears of War 3 because they both vomit a toxic bile
- The Lambent are also similar to the Suicider from Gears of War 3 because they both explode
- The Infected are similar to a Berserker from Gears of War 1 and 3 because they both pause to scream and run at a human
- ↑ a b Liam Martin, Dead Island' sequel confirmed, 'Riptide' reveal for summer, digitalspy, (June 6 2012).
- ↑ a b c Dead Island Riptide allows character continuation, arrives 2013, Joystiq
- ↑ Ben Griffin, E3 2012: Dead Island sequel is coming Riptide announced, hopefully better than its trailer, Computer and Video Games, (June 6 2012).
- ↑ Jessica Conditt, Dead Island Riptide puts some spring back in zombies' steps, joystiq, (June 5, 2012).
- ↑ Gamescom
- ↑ Oliver East, Dead Island Riptide Only $49.99 But “It Is A New Game” Says Deep Silver, Just Push Start, (June 12, 2012).
- ↑ http://electronictheatre.co.uk/articles/articles-articles/29074/dead-island-riptide-producer-talks-coupling-innovation-action
- ↑ David Sanchez, Dead Island Riptide Is a Spinoff, Launches Next Year, exophase, (September 1, 2012).
- ↑ Jessica Conditt, Dead Island Riptide puts some spring back in zombies' steps, joystiq, (June 5th 2012).
- ↑ First Details and Screenshots from Dead Island Riptide, Daily Dead, (AUGUST 31, 2012).
- ↑ a b c d e f g Dead Island: Riptide Preview, The Sixth Axis, (August 31, 2012).
- ↑ a b David Stonecipher, First details emerge for zombie sequel Dead Island Riptide, Examiner, (September 1, 2012). "This forces players to flee the ship"
- ↑ a b Gieson Cacho, New Dead Island Riptide details: Same crew, different islands, Mercury News, (August 31st, 2012). "it looks like they end up shipwrecked on another island full of more zombies"
- ↑ a b Mark LoProto, Techland releases information about Dead Island: Riptide, Examiner, (August 31, 2012)
- ↑ a b c d Tina Amini, Dead Island: Riptide’s Zombies Will Pull You Off Of Your Boat, Kotaku
- ↑ a b Rob Manuel, Dead Island Riptide First Look Preview -- We Have to Go Back...and Kill More Zombies!, g4tv, (August 31, 2012).
- ↑ http://www.outsidexbox.com/articles/2013-03-15-dead-island-riptide-dead-island-but-less-irritating
- ↑ http://www.el33tonline.com/past/2013/1/15/horrific_dead_island_riptide_ce/
- ↑ http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/15/3878454/dead-island-riptide-limited-zombie-bait-edition-uk
- ↑ http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1766612/dead_island_riptide_collectors_edition_packs_bloody_bikini_girl_torso.html
- ↑ Shubhankar Parijat, Retailer leaks Dead Island: Riptide release date and special edition, Gaming Bolt, (October 29, 2012).
- ↑ Travis Shuman, Dead Island Riptide Release Date Announced, Gaming Illustrated, (October 30, 2012).
- ↑ Sacred 3 and Dead Island Riptide at PAX Prime 2012, Gamers Hell, (August 24, 2012). "Deep Silver sent over a press release announcing that Dead Island Riptide, the next installment in the multi-million selling Dead Island series, will be shown in the Deep Silver booth to PAX attendees in exclusive demonstrations led by Dead Island's Senior Creative Producer, Sebastian Reichert."
- ↑ Griffin McElroy,'Dead Island: Riptide' trailer takes us back to the island, The Verge, (September 18, 2012).